For the uninitiated, Recordit Fast Screencasts is a Mac-only piece of software recently launched that lets you create video screencasts FAST. This app works similarly to Jing; you decide what particular area of your screen you want to screen-capture, hit the record button, then wait for a few seconds for the app to upload & generate a unique link for the screencast. If you have a Mac, go check out Recordit.
But fret not, I got you here a decent (even better) alternative to Recordit that works well on any Mac and Windows computer.
LICEcap Records Your Screen Activity And Saves It As High Quality GIF (Windows & OSX)
LICEcap is FREE and fully functional GIF creation tool both for Windows and Mac that allows you to capture an area of your computer and store it as a high quality GIF. LICEcap is very lightweight and there's no extra fuss to get started. Just grab and install the app, and you're good to go.
- Record directly to .GIF or
- Move the screen capture frame while recording
- Pause and restart recording, with optional inserted text messages
- Global hotkey (shift+space) to toggle pausing while recording
- Adjustable maximum recording framerate, to allow throttling CPU usage
- Basic title frame, with or without text
- Record mouse button presses
- Display elapsed time in the recording
Why use GIF when there's a video?
The problem with most video screencasting software today is that the size of video or flash file it generates is too large that you can't quickly embed it on a web page nor share it to your co-workers or employer. With GIF as an output format, the size is too minimal, thus saving you time.